Jowar is a healthy millet that can be a substitute for wheat if you are looking to go gluten free. Apart from the yummy Jowar rotis, you can also prepare Jowar dosa which kids will enjoy for breakfast. Read on further to find how easy it is to prepare this dosa.
The below quantity yields 6-7 dosas.
- Jowar/ Jola/ Sorghum – 2 cups
- Women’s Rice/ Poongar rice/ Idly rice/ Dosa Rice – 1/2 cup
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Methi seeds/Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 spoon
- Salt as per taste
- Gingelly oil or any other cooking oil (Gingelly oil tastes best)
- Wash and soak jowar and rice together in a bowl minimum for 8 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal and methi seeds in another bowl for 8 hours.
- Grind all the above soaked items to form thick paste.
- Allow it to ferment for minimum 8 hours.
- After fermentation, mix the batter well, add salt and water if required.
- The consistency of batter should be medium, neither too thick nor thin.
- Heat a iron tawa, smear gingelly oil, after sometime pour the batter starting from outer circle to inner one (This method ensures batter spread in uniform circle) and complete the circle.
- Add oil on the sides of dosa, cover a cook.
- Flip and cook on the other side.
- Serve hot with a dollop of desi cow ghee and onion chutney.
- Dosa batter – 1 cup
- Mixed veggies – 1 cup
- Tomato chutney
Cut all the veggies like carrot beans all coloured capsicum into fine pieces. Mash boiled potato and green peas. In a pan add oil little onion and saute. Then add in all the veggies and mix well. Add little salt and very little pepper powder and mix well. Heat dosa pan and pour little Batter and spread it like a small round. Then spread some tomato chutney on top and then add the veggies as topping. On top of this grate some cheese/ panner. Cover it with a lid and cook in low flame.Once its cooked well you can take it to a plate and serve. No need to turn it back and cook.
Note:Instead of tomato ketchup, you can do this.Take tomato’s wash well. Take a pan with water and allow it to boil well. Then off the stop add the washed tomatoes and close the pan with a lid. After 1/2 an hour remove the tomatoes and peel out the skin. Cut it into 2 half remove the seed too with a knife. Then take all these tomatoes in a blender and grind it well. Don’t add water. After grinding take this paste in a pan and boil it. Add little sugar,chilly powder and turmeric powder. Cook well till the raw smell goes. Cool and store it in fridge. This can be used instead of tomato ketchup.
Aval – 1 cup
Carrot – 1 peel out the skin and grate it
Curry leaf and coriander leaf – finely chopped
Rice flour – 3 tblspoon
Wash Aval well. Take it in a mixer and grind it well by adding little water. Remove it to a bowl.
Now add grated carrot,curry leaf, coriander leaf,salt,rice flour and mix everything well.
Add water slowly and mix well till it gets a dosa batter consistency.
Heat a dosa pan and prepare dosa’s with this batter.
Both sides should be cooked well. Can be had with chutney or curd.