We are in mid of winter, many parents seems to worry more than other seasons. They all keep asking more questions about taking precaution. This trend is very good, an many people are looking for natural and alternative remedy to protect themselves and their family. But, apart from precaution, we can actually take advantage of winter season to keep our body healthy.
The positive side is, during winter the digestive capacity increases compared to other months. The food is digested faster. This is the good time to give kids heavy and nutritious food because there is active digestion and nutrient absorption happening naturally.
Ayurveda prescribes heavy food in winter because it provides sufficient heat and adequate nutrition which otherwise the digestive heat would start consuming the tissue elements of body for want adequate fuel.
- Foods that are unctuous, nourishing sweet, sour and salty in moderate amounts
- Meat soups, Honey, Cane juice, Raw rice or Rice flour based food, Payasm or Kheer, Cheese, Milk, Yogurt, Traditional fried snacks like Chikli, Atirasam, sweets and desserts, Fruit juices, Fruit salad,etc.
- Dehydration – Take sufficient amount of liquids. In winter, Stimulation of thirst will be reduced in winter season
- Constipation – drink more water and ea rich in fibers
- Avoid cold items like ice creams
Best time to do Oil massage
Oil massages are important in winter. It helps preventing dryness, retains enough moisture, promotes digestion, helps to get good sleep. The most important factor to be remembered is after taking oil bath heavy food should be taken during winter. Traditionally meat preparation were consumed after oil bath. Dry skin is common problem in children, this can be avoided by giving them oil bath weekly twice.
- Heavy food that is sweet, fatty and sour, that is warm
- Oil bath followed by heavy meal
- Weekly twice oil massages
- Drink more warm water
- Food rich in fiber
- Avoid exposure to dry and cold air
Enjoy the winter!