- Poongar / Women’s Rice – 2cups
- Grated coconut: 1 cup
- Thin Poha/Paper Aval – 1 handful
- Coconut Oil – For greasing
- Salt, Palm Sugar – As per taste
- Wash and soak women’s rice for 8 hours minimum.
- Grind the rice along with grated coconut and poha to form smooth paste. The consistency of the paste should be slightly thinner than normal dosa batter.
- Keep the batter covered for fermentation for minimum 8 hours.
- Now, check the consistency of the batter to be a bit more thinner than normal dosa batter, add water if required.
- Now add 1-2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp sugar and mix the batter well.
- Now smear dosa tawa (preferably iron tawa, avoid non stick and induction tawas) with coconut oil using coconut fiber.
- Heat the tawa for 2 mins, now pour dosa batter starting from outer circle and ending with inner circle and spread it with laddle to make circle.
- Pour coconut oil little by little on the sides of dosa to complete the round and cover.
- Once the dosa is cooked, flip the other side and cover.
- Remove from tawa and serve hot with a dollop of desi cow ghee or fresh butter and coriander-mint chutney.
- Poongar Rice can be substituted with any traditional rice like Karuppu kavini/back rice, Mappilai samba etc..
- Before pouring dosa batter to make dosa everytime you can grease tawa with coconut oil generously to ensure batter doesn’t stick to it.
- You can skip adding sugar if you don’t like slight sweet taste to dosa.
- Spread the batter on tawa such that it is neither too thin nor thick.
One thought on “Neer Dosa- Traditional dish with Poongar Rice (Womens Rice)”
Hi,generally neer dosa batter is not fermented. Here do you let it ferment because you are using it is poongar rice ?