Recently in our whatsapp group, parents where confused with what options to when it come to hygiene practice for women and kids. Though each parents found their own way, I wanted to share my own research and experience on this.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children – unknown
Diapers are made of plastic, paper & sodium polyacrylate is mixed up with small amounts of acrylic acid, a leftover from the manufacturing process. In theory, acrylic acid in large doses could be harmful to a baby’s skin. But according to a 2009 report in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, there isn’t nearly enough acrylic acid in disposable diapers to raise concern. (The study was funded by Procter & Gamble, a major manufacturer of diapers.) Other side, sodium polyacrylate supplier should test the acrylic acid value and make sure it is less than 300 PPM (part per million).....(Picked from two web links). Details: http://awesomebeginnings4children.com/the-harmful-chemicals-in-disposable-diapers/
BUT REQUEST YOU TO PLEASE MAKE A SWITCH!!!
- Period Panty
eriod-panty-an-auxiliary-sanit ary-product/Need to use inserts and wear it like a normal panty can be washed and resused.
- Cloth pads
uying-reusable-cloth-pads-poin ts-to-be-considered/Can be worn exactly like how the disposable napkins are used, but can be washed & reused.
- Menstrual Cup
ki/Menstrual_cupIts made of silicon (best) or rubber to be inserted in the cervix kind of similar to tampoon. Specially useful for women who are active in sports, heavy flow, lack of time and finally for sensitive skin.
Reusable hygiene products list for kids
- All in one diaper (AIO) is like a normal diaper just strap it & use. It has a dry layer, built in inserts to soak the pee. It last upto 3 hrs max during the day. Once pooped in has to be changed immediately.
- AIO with pockets same as above but it has a pocket where you can stuff a lot of cloth or inserts and it last a bit longer then AIO. Both the AIO has a different kind if material that kind of keeps dry. Something like flannel material. These can be reused upto 150 times if maintained well.
- Shells are like Breathable plastic in which you can put loads of cloth and strap it & then change every two hours you can then take the cloth of wipe with wet wipe n use once more but no more then twice.
- You have different kinds of inserts or soakers that you can choose from which can be used inside the pockets or shells instead of using cotton cloth as absorbency is mote. Some soak more, some soak more and keep dry too.
- If all above options are costly, a cost effective option that I personally use during day is buy a few bloomers, tear cotton cloth & give it a shape of long rectangle pads and insert in bloomer, use & wash & reuse.
How to use
- Every diaper has a process to be followed before it’s first use, the website would give you details as the process vary a bit between products.
- Watch videos on how to strap them or it may leak with just one pee.
- If pooped in, throw the poop in the water closet rinse with a health faucet. Best part is now you are ready to put these in your washing machine do a rinse & spin cycle, then do a normal cycle with soap. Applies for all cloth diapers and bloomer option.How ever in my experience it is best to rinse it in warm water after every soap wash so that soap residue does not stay in the cloth as this would cause the diapers to stink slowly and absorbing capacity reduces.
- All washed and reusable stuff need to dry well in a dryer or under the sun and do a daily wash for hygiene & maintenance reasons.
Do share your experience and solution that worked for you at the comment or at the whatsapp group. this will help and motivate others to switch to holistic living.