If you have been looking for a good alternative to Cow’s milk (either due to health reasons, cruelty reasons or any other reasons), you have many choices today – including Almond Milk, Soy Milk, Rice Milk, Hemp Milk, Coconut Milk and Sprouts Milk. While the first five may be commercially available off the shelf in super markets, they can also prove to be a bit economically unviable for everyday use. In such a case, do not worry!
Here’s a wonderful alternative to these Vegan Milk options which is also very very healthy – and what’s more – you can make five different variations of this milk as well! Yes, I am talking about Sprout’s Milk. Let’s quickly look at how to make this milk before we look at the benefits of this milk.
How to make Sprout’s Milk:
- Take any one millet/gram of your choice from the ones listed above – Finger Millet or Pearl Millet or Foxtail Millet Or Horsegram or Whole Greengram.
- Wash it once, remove any impurities/stones and then soak it for 5 – 6 hours (or overnight). You need not wait till the sprouts fully appear but if you want to do so, there’s no harm either. This recipe looks at how we can prepare Sprout’s milk fresh every day with just five minutes of work the previous night.
- Once the millet/gram is soaked sufficiently (and just about starting to sprout if you let it longer than 6 hours), put it in a blender with some water and grind it nicely.
- Filter out the liquid with a fine mesh. This is your thick Sprout’s Milk.
- Add equal quantity of hot water to this extracted thick Sprout’s Milk.
- Add Jaggery and Elaichi to give it sweetness and flavor and consume as an alternative to regular milk.
Why Sprouts Milk:
- As you know, millets and grams pack quite a punch of nutrients and are considered super foods.
- They are also cheaper compared to any other type of vegan milk including Almond Milk.
- They also help you replace the so called commercial health drinks which in reality may not have much nutrition at all.
Do give this recipe a try and let us know how it worked for you. Perhaps, you can even combine one or two millets and extract mixed Sprout’s Milk.