On the occasion of breastfeeding week, I am happy to share an age old recipe taught by ancestors.
- Adi maduram ( licorice) 10 gms
- Ajwain 1 cup
- Chitirattai (lesser galangal / kulanjan / blue ginger) 15 gms
- Cloves 15 gms
- Dal chinni 15 gms
- Dry ginger 200 gms
- Elachi 15 gms
- Ghee 300 gms
- Hing 10 gms
- Honey 100 gms
- Javitri (mace) 10 gms
- Jaiphal 1 small piece
- Jeera 15 gms
- Khus khus 15 gms
- Mustard seeds 15 gms
- Palm jaggery – ¾ kg
- Pepper 15 gms
- Saboot dhaniya 25 gms
- Tippili (long pepper) 50 gms
- Turmeric 10 gms
- Val milage (cubeb / kabab chinni) 15 gms
- Dry roast all the ingredients separately and allow it to cool
- Then grind it into a powder. I make in chakki
- Then seive it so that the powder is evenly mixed
- In a khadai add half liter of water and add the palm jaggery
- Boil it till the jaggery is fully melted
- Then strain it twice to take out the impurities
- Wash the khadai and put the strained jaggery syrup in it and allow it to boil for five minutes
- Add ghee and once the ghee starts melting, add the powder little by little and mix it, stirring continuously. Keep the flame low.
- Now mix it nicely till all the lumps is gone and cook for ten minutes
- Now add little ghee again if necessary.
- You can see one shine in the ready mixture.
- It should be in pouring consistency.
- Now add honey and mix well.
- Switch off the gas
- Transfer the ready mix in a steel container and allow it to cool down
- Once its cold it will becomes little thick
Lactating mothers should have twice a day along with hot milk.
It helps in increasing the milk supply and also helps in digestion.